Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Using Dynavision for Concussion Prevention



This week my response is on the article "Clear eyes on the field", by Katie Pence and Alice Sampson. Many have a difficulty with their vision, thus making players in football more likely to get tackled. Luckily some researchers at University of  Cincinnati have teamed up with sports medicine to improve players vision. They have created a Concussion Prevention Program that will help athletes "improve their peripheral vision and neurovisual performance to protect themselves from potentially violent collisions." They use a technology system called Dynavision D2 which is a light board that tracks the players reaction times. This allows them to create a baseline and over time improve the athletes vision for a faster processing speed. The University of Cincinnati has had a lot of success with the Dynavision program and highly recommend other schools, universities, and professional teams try it. The article also says that more youth sports should implement these training strategies into their programs.

I think this is a great program. Using the light board looks challenging yet fun. I'd wouldn't mind trying it myself. This is the first time I have heard of a concussion prevention program. Often you only see recovery or baseline testing, which are all great, but its nice to see doctors and scientists working to try to prevent potentially dangerous hits. At the end of the article is a quote by a PhD, Neurology professor, Joe Clark that says,“I definitely don’t want to see sports vanish because of injury, but it’s important to continue research on brain injuries and other related conditions, and it’s important to keep our athletes and our coaches educated. We’re much better off than where we were 8 to 10 years ago.” I definitely agree with Clark, long term benefits of sports and exercise far outweigh the risks of injury. 
UC athletes undergo Dynavision training

Link to article click here.

2 comments:

  1. As an athlete who plays a very contact sport, I think this is really helpful. Many people are unable to play because of concussions and being able to do exercises that can prevent them. I enjoyed reading this article and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an athlete myself, it is very good to hear that they are now doing things to prevent concussions before the occur. Having had a concussion, I would have loved to have been able to prevent it. I really enjoy reading all of your blog posts and I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete